Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Magical London

Headed into central London yesterday for a long awaited haircut from Shaun, my hairdresser for the last 8 years, he is simply brilliant! Was great to see him again and catch up on all the “gossip”, even better now that my hair feels alive again and is in something that resembles a style.

Afterwards I strolled into Covent Garden’s Market, visited the Royal Ballet Theatre then onto Covent Garden. Popped into an art gallery, fell in love with a painting by a new French artist. I was then invited to a closed Gallery opening on the 17th - so that should be fun.

Strolled around Leister Square, Soho, and Piccadilly Ahhhh the magic returned! Decided it would be a bit too tragic returning home without watching a theatrical production, so purchased a half price, cheap seats ticket to see Chicago.

I am usually not a fan of mainline theatre; however it is a “must see” production, like Phantom of the Opera or The Lion King. I regret never seeing Miss Saigon and didn’t want this to be the case with Chicago.

Anyhow, to kill time waiting for Chicago to begin, I strolled down to Trafalgar Square. To my great astonishment there was a live performance of Carmen showing.



The tale of Carmen

Not only that, it was also an operatic sing-a-long which in itself was most amusing. I was quite torn as I had already booked the ticket to Chicago and had to miss this production. I stayed for the first 20min of the first act before heading off.

To my great surprise they upgraded my ticket - lucky me! I ended up sitting next to a couple and their friend. They had obviously been talking about how he felt like a third wheel etc. when I arrived. So the couple lean over to their friend and say in a "low" voice - well at least now it looks like you have a date, to which he replied - at least it’s not as sad as being here on my own like her! Hahahaha that did make me chortle.

Chicago wasn’t too bad and as I had no idea what to expect was pleasantly surprised by the story line. The lead singer didn’t have a very strong voice so that was a little disappointing. I’m glad I went though.

Afterwards I headed out to find the night bus. Had to walk for what seemed like miles to get there, however when I arrived realised the night busses only start at 12.30am and it was only 11pm. So I hopped on a bus heading for Putney, unfortunately it terminated in the middle of nowhere. It didn’t help matters much that my bus pass was due to expire at midnight and I hadn’t a clue where I was.

Finally hopped on a another bus which stopped at Putney bridge, had to walk up to Putney High Street and wait for another bus to take me to Richmond. No sooner had we left Putney when we hit a traffic jam. Repair works! Anyhow half way through East Sheen I hopped off the bus and proceeded to walk the rest of the way. Thankfully I was wearing my sensible shoes and not some cute strappy sandals.

Arrived home just after 1am - what a mission. Had a fantastic day though despite the ending!

No comments: